What will my child learn?
- Intro to Spanish
- Fine Arts
- Total Credits: 1
- In addition to attending Bible classes three times a week, students are required to attend a chapel service every Monday and Friday. Parents are welcome to attend these services, which begin at 11:25 am.
- Portraits of the Old Testament
- Course Description: Old Testament
- Each lesson studies that life of an Old Testament character along with a memory verse for each lesson.
English (Academic and Honors**)
- Total Credits: 1
- Grammar: Study all parts of speech, capitalization, punctuation.
- Literature: Study an anthology of writing pieces by well-known authors.
- Novels: Read and analyze a variet of novels throughout the year, including Night, A Christmas Carol, and The Hound of Baskervilles.
- Composition: Various writing projects including creative writing, literary analysis, research paper, persuasive oral speeches, and poetry.
- Spelling, vocabulary, and poetry: 28 spelling lists, 280 vocabulary words, various poetry forms will be studied.
- Field Trips: A Christmas Carol; (novel study); The Harrisburg State Capitol and The Museum of Pennsylvania (research paper).
- **Honors English courses move at an accelerated pace, cover an increased amount of novels and an increased frequency of writing assignments.
- Algebra I
- Credits: 1
- Real Numbers
- Solving Equations
- Solving Inequalities
- Relations, Functions and Graphs
- Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Factoring Polynomials
- Quadratic Equations
- Rational Expressions
- Microsoft Word
- Create, edit, and format documents
- Insert pictures, tables, and charts
- Create resumes and research papers
- Microsoft Excel
- Create, edit, and format spreadsheets
- Insert pictures, tables, and charts
- Create formulas
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Create, edit, and format presentations
- Insert pictures, videos, tables, and charts
- Microsoft Access
- Create, edit, and format databases
- Study of United States history from colonization up until 1850
- Some Topics Covered:
- Settling the Wilderness: Discovery of the New World, settling the colonies, colonies and the British Empire.
- Establishing a Nation: Revolutionary war, Confederation and establishment of the new government.
- Spanning the Continent: Growth of the Nation, Jacksonian Era, Westward Expansion.
Physical Science, Earth Science, Chemistry
- Credits: 1
- Inquiry and Steps to Solve a Physics Problem
- How to Make a Graph
- Forces and Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Energy and Work
- The Solar System, Anatomy of the Sun, Stars
- Electric Currents, Magnets, Wave Interactions
- How the Human Eye sees Light and Color
- How Light is Affected by Matter
- The Phases of Matter and Heat Transfer
- Buoyancy, Mechanical Properties
- The Atom
- Physical vs. Chemical Properties of Matter
- Compounds and Mixtures
- Acids vs. Bases, Chemical Reactions
- Exothermic and Endothermic Reactions
- Types of Chemical Reactions
- Balancing Equations
- Rocks & Minerals
Intro to Spanish
- Words that are similar in English and Spanish; How to say “the” in Spanish
- How to make things plural
- Indefinite articles
- How to express actions; How to ask questions and say no in Spanish
- How to count in Spanish
- Telling time in Spanish
- ER , -AR, and –IR verbs
- Adjectives – how to describe things in Spanish
- Professions and trades; the verb ser
- Expressions with estar; uses of ser and estar
- Days and months
- The verb tener; expressions with tener
- Weather expressions; Seasons; the verb hacer
- Possessive adjectives
- What to say when you like something; the verb gustar
- Middle School Choir Grades 6-8 (Elective) - Middle School Choir is a performance group that sings age-appropriate music as they learn to sing as a group as well as sing their own voice part. Training is given so that the choir learns to sing correctly, using proper breath support, diction, posture and dynamics. The choir will sing in multiple styles and languages.
- Middle School General Music Grades 6-8 (Elective) - Middle School General Music is designed to educate students on how to read music and follow a musical score.
- Hand bells
- Private instrumental lessons available
- Click here to learn more about our music program
- Click here to learn more about our art program
Intro to Art A/B
students will continue to explore the world of art and art appreciation through the use of various media and techniques. there is an emphasis on design and composition of artwork. students are encouraged to participate in the regional arts festival. you may take art a and b or just one of the art classes. you may not take art a (or b) twice in the same year. these may be taken again in consecutive years.
This pass/fail semester course provides an opportunity for learning to take your thoughts and pour them onto the pages of your personal journal. Each marking period will focus on a different type of journaling: Doodle Journaling as a Study Tool(using each child’s current curriculum); Reflection/Prayer Journaling(focus on how to pray/what to pray for); Short Story & Character Development Journaling(if you love writing stories and creating characters, this is for you!); and Poetry, Prose, and Personal journaling(A thought and mood based course for those who love or need some quiet reflection time during the day, indoors or out). *Personal journal and writing tools (all color and mediums welcome!) are required* This course may be taken one semester each school year.
there are four tech electives to choose from. you may take as many as you would like (they are not a requirement). students who took computer 7/8 in the 2018-19 should be advised that the curriculum may be similar in some areas but they may take enroll in the class.
Keyboarding: Even though the tech world is constantly changing, keyboarding is still a crucial skill for productivity. Spend the quarter mastering the skills of touch typing without looking at the keyboard and enjoy the benefits that will go beyond the time invested.
Programming & Game Design:沙巴体育app下载 An introduction to the basics of programming using block coding. We will be creating several different types of games and building up different skill sets. The culminating project will have the students designing and building their own game.
Web Design:沙巴体育app下载 Learn the basics of the HTML and CSS and begin to understand a bit of the code that is behind the sites on the web. Students will be coding their own basic sites along the way. All students should bring a flash drive to class.
Intro to Multimedia:沙巴体育app下载 A basic introduction to Photoshop, the leading imaging and graphic design software. Students will also be introduced to elements of video editing and production.
in middle school choir students will learn proper vocal production and technique. choir is a semester class which involves one performance in each semester. students are encouraged to take choir the entire year.
Creative Writing A/B
This semester course will provide an opportunity for students to explore different genres of writing. This is a course for both the struggling writer and for the student who loves to write! Exploration of song lyrics, dialogue/script writing, comic strips, short stories, etc., will be a part of this course while being exposed to quality literature examples and incorporating figurative language into each piece. Students can take both A and B or just one of them (A or B). *Personal journal or non-wire bound notebook required*
沙巴体育app下载students will provide and present current event topics weekly, which will be coupled with class discussion. this class may include weekly assessments. this is a new course and students can take it both semesters if desired.
Students wishing to be involved on-stage or off-stage may enroll in middle school drama. This course is recommended to be a full year class focusing on theatre skills, theory and games to build to the Spring 2020 production of The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Exploratory Spanish I/II
沙巴体育app下载his course requires no previous knowledge. it is based on common language structures and learning through stories and comprehensible input. exploratory i is a pre-requisite for exploratory ii. both courses do not need to be taken in the same school year, but it is recommended. this course will build a foundation for high school spanish but is not a pre-requisite.
沙巴体育app下载this is a new course, it is applicable for all levels of music knowledge. learn the basics of music through assorted instructional methods. music activities may include many opportunities for students to sing, play instruments, move to music, listen and analyze, learn musical notation, create, and perform. it can only be taken one semester in a school year.
沙巴体育app下载this is a new course. stem is a course for students to explore science, technology, engineering and math all in one curriculum. this course offers an innovative approach to learning in which students use problem solving skills to tackle hands-on learning activities. students may only take it once in a school year, but can be taken in consecutive years.
MS Phys Ed (Boys/ Girls)
flag football, ultimate frisbee, disc golf, backyard games, crossfit, self defense, european handball, badminton, mat ball, spike ball, lacrosse, soccer & basketball...just to name a few units. there is a concentration on the participation of these events and gaining an adequate understanding of the rules, techniques and strategies in these events to be able to have the confidence to potentially participate in them outside of pe class. knowing that phys ed isn't comfortable for all students, mr. ben clymer looks for opportunities to appoint students to different tasks that don't always force them to be ultra-competitive (i.e. coach, game setup, ref, score keeper, etc). this is a semester class that can only be taken once in a school year, but can be taken in consecutive years.
a variety of topics are covered in ms boys health ranging from a brief overview of biology and body systems, first aid, communicable diseases, nutrition, exercise, social health & a concentration on stress/anxiety & depression related to god's word. ben clymer’s phys ed background inspires his desire to look for ways to incorporate the social aspect of group activities and out of classroom practices.
沙巴体育app下载the middle school health curriculum promotes an understanding of sound mental/emotional, physical, and social well-being, and provides instruction that is aimed to help our students live a healthy lifestyle from a biblical perspective. the program’s learning experiences are designed to give the student’s an understanding of the different body systems, along with providing them with the knowledge to make healthy nutritional choices. this is a semester class that can only be taken once in middle school. it is a recommended course (not a required course).